Wedding Planning Checklist
Planning a wedding can be
quite stressful. If you are organized and allow yourself ample time to
take care of the details, you will be amazed at how little stress you feel when
the BIG DAY finally arrives. Here is a list below of things
you need to plan for or might want to plan for to prepare for your special
day. There is a suggested time frame for when you should take care of
each task, or when you should hire professional services. It is very
important that you pay close attention to the suggested time frames.
Especially so when it comes to hiring your photographer, videographer, or DJ,
since many professionals in these businesses book certain popular dates far in
advance. You might be out of luck if you delay too long in certain areas.
At least 12 months prior
to your wedding date
* Announce your engagement.
* Set the date for the wedding.
* Decide what type of wedding you want: location, time of day, how many
* Draw up a guest list.
* Develop a budget and how expenses will be shared. (Today it is common for both families to
to the budget).
* Create a file for contracts, forms, important papers, etc..
* Attend Bridal Shows (This is a good place to gather a lot of information, and
help with your budget
* Select a wedding coordinator (if applicable).
* Select and reserve the location you wish to have your ceremony.
* Select and reserve an officiant.
* Select and reserve your reception location.
* Order your bridal gown.
* Determine what colors you will go with for your wedding. (dresses,
flowers, decorations, etc.)
* Select and hire a photographer.
* Meet with your photographer to have engagement photos taken.
* Send engagement notice and photograph to the local newspaper.
* Select and hire the DJ or reception musicians.
* Select the wedding party.
Nine to twelve months prior to wedding
* Select flower girl and ring bearer.
* Reserve wedding night bridal suite.
* Select wedding party's attire including shoes, and accessories.
* Select and hire a caterer.
* Select and hire ceremony musicians.
* Schedule fittings and deliver dates for yourself and wedding party.
* Select and book your florist.
Six to Nine months prior to wedding
* Start shopping for each other's wedding gifts.
* Reserve rental items for ceremony and reception (arches, pillars, decorations
* Finalize guest list.
* Select and order wedding invitations, and other stationery such as thank you
notes, and wedding
* Address your invitations.
* Set a date, time and location for your rehearsal dinner.
* Arrange accommodations for out-of-town guests.
* Start planning your honeymoon.
* Select and book all miscellaneous services.
* Register for gifts at Bridal Registries.
* Purchase shoes and accessories.
Four to Six months prior to wedding
* Select baker and order cake.
* Order flowers.
* Select and order decorations.
* Purchase honeymoon attire and luggage.
* Select and book limo or carriage for wedding day.
* Check marriage license requirements.
* Shop for wedding rings.
* Plan entertainment or activities for your out-of-town guests if they arrive
days prior to your wedding
* Purchase gifts for your wedding party.
Six to Eight weeks prior to wedding
* Mail invitations.
* Maintain a record of RSVP's and all gifts received.
* Send thank you notes upon receipt of gifts.
* Determine how you want to wear your hair and makeup for the wedding day.
* Buy final wedding day accessories (eg. toasting glasses, and guest book)
* Arrange for name and address changes.
One Week Count Down
* Go over final details.
* Make sure all wedding attire fits correctly.
* Finalize guest count with caterer and reception location.
* Gather everything needed for rehearsal and wedding day.
* Go over schedule of events and last minute arrangements.
* Contact all service providers and go over last minute details (photographer,
DJ, videographer,florist etc.)
* Confirm honeymoon reservations and accommodations.
* Finish packing for the honeymoon.
* Arrange to have your mail held at the post office, and stop your newspapers.
* Give your wedding party any accessories they will need.
* Give the officiant's fee to the Best Man.
* Designate someone (close friend, relative) to pay for any remaining services
where balances are due, and
entrust them with the checks to pay for the services.
* Arrange for someone to bring accessories to ceremony and reception.(cake
cutting knife, toasting
glasses, guest book etc.)
* Designate someone to return rented items after the wedding.
* Provide your wedding party, and immediate family with a schedule of events
for the wedding day.
* Go to bed early.
On The Big Day
* Eat Breakfast
* Get your hair, nails and makeup done early.
* Have wedding attire ready two hours early.
* Make sure the Best Man has the marriage license and officiant's fee.
* Make sure the groom has honeymoon tickets, money etc..
* Have the wedding party arrive one hour prior to the wedding ceremony.(to
allow time for pre-ceremony
pictures. Immediate family should arrive close to this time
* Make sure the Maid of honor has the groom's ring.
* Try to relax, and let others take care of anything that may come up.
Remember this is your day, and
no matter what happens, try to enjoy it, and accept minor